Here's a silly question (but one that got me after a long day):
did you index the collection after you created it?  I was re-indexing an
empty index and it wasn't working until I went into the admin and indexed
it.  Then it worked properly.

I figure you already thought of this, but I always like to start with the
obvious and work my way to the esoteric.  :-)

--  Ben Doom
    Programmer & General Lackey
    Moonbow Software, Inc