As far as I understand Mike, the steps you mention are correct.  I have seen
things sitting in the undeliv folder, and they have never been sent.. so I'm
fairly certain that you're 40,000+ messages would never have been sent.

If you want to actually send them, you can copy them back to the Spool
folder, however this poses the question as to why they weren't sent, which I
guess you've figured...  If it was that the mail server was unavailable at
the time, then they should be delivered if you drop them into the spool
folder.. but if it's a relaying error, ie, the domain of the senders address
does not equal that of the email server, then they would never be delivered.

Hope that helps a little

Nick