Mike, I was refering to the email address that you specified in the FROM
parameter of CFMAIL, not the ones you are sending to.  While this probably
isn't the reason, it's worth checking none the less, it's tripped me up in
the past.

When I was looking for an email server program to run here, I discovered a
document that showed the rejection rates of emails, and I understand that
just about all email servers with the exception of one, Merak Mail, had
problems when several hundred messages were dumped to it at once.. so I
would agree with the other comments that it's probably overload related.

Just a suggestion, but do you run the email server there?  Does it handle
mailing lists?  If it's anything like Merak, it contains a text file with a
list of email addresses that have subscribed.. What you could do is let CF
create a text file of all the email addresses you want to send the
newsletter to, save that text file to the relevant place, and then send a
single email to the mailing list address.  I know this would work ok with
Merak, but it really depends on your email server.  Just a thought anyhow!

(oops.. while I name dropped Merak a few times, I by no means have any
relationship with them other than as a client.  The program, in my own
opinion is great, and the support excellent.  I haven't experienced any
problems with it at all)