A select box will always result in a value being passed to the "action" page. I'd
suggest
you use an initial OPTION something like this:

<SELECT name="Department">
        <OPTION value="0">Select a Department
        <OPTION>Department 1
         <OPTION>Department 2
etc
</SELECT>

Then on your action page, do a CFIF test for Department, and if it's not 0, you know
they
made a department selection...

Gene Kraybill