I own a Sony FD88, a bit beyond your budget of $675, but
check for price reductions.

        I prefer the Sony brand because it uses the standard floppy
disk instead of a card. I bring 20-30 disks with me on vacation and
if I run out, they are very cheap to buy. (at this resolution, I can
usually fit 8-9 shots per floppy)

        no software to install, no downloading, no card-hookup. I just
put in the floppy and fire up Corel Photo Paint and I'm ready to edit
my pics.

        The FD88 has a 16x zoom lens, with 1.3 meg pixel resolution.
        It also has the capability of doing a short (1-2 minute) video
with sound.

        I paid $800 for it a few months ago and since then, the prices
have come down considerably.

        A long-life battery (170 minutes) will run you another $100, but
if you can live without it,  the standard battery included does come
with a recharger.
        Marlene