>http://php.weblogs.com/php_vs_cold_fusion
>
>This is a pretty good comparison, though it is kind of old.  Many of the
>things they say are lacking in CF are now in CFMX (like user-defined
>functions) and the same might be true of PHP.
>
>The main difference to me is speed:
>-CF is faster and easier to developer, (which could lower development costs
>to your client.)
>-PHP compiles and runs faster (which could lower hardware costs.)

Respectfully, I think that's a terrible comparison. That comparison is
obviously of CF 4.5 vs PHP!! User-defined functions have been available
since CF 5, and the enhanced feature set and performance of CF 5, let alone
CFMX, is enough to antiquate this article. The article you mention to still
refers to Allaire, which was bought by Macromedia almost two years ago! In
fairness, PHP may have grown in parallel with CF over the 3 years since that
article, but I doubt it's as rich as CFMX.

For a better refence, try the following two links to get started (watch for
wrapping):

1. Ben Forta's site: <http://www.forta.com/cf/>
2. Ben's article on CF vs. "free" technologies entitled "But It's Free!"
from the CF Developer's Journal:
<http://www.sys-con.com/coldfusion/article.cfm?id=541>