It's a little kludgy, but you can redo your logic on the called template
a little bit and pass both variables to it at the same time like so:

 <SELECT NAME="CatagoryID" SIZE="7">
     <CFOUTPUT QUERY="GetCatagory">
          <option value='#CatagoryID#_#CatagoryDescription#'>
#CatagoryDescription# #CatagoryID#
     </CFOUTPUT>
 </SELECT>

Then what gets passed is #CatagoryID#_#CatagoryDescription# which you
can treat as a list and get each variable like so:

#ListFirst(FORM.CategoryID, '_')# returns the actual CategoryID, so you
can set a variable equal to it such as <CFSET PassedCategoryID =
#ListFirst(FORM.CategoryID, '_')#>

#ListLast(FORM.CategoryID, '_')# returns the category description

You'll have to be a little careful to not ever have pound signs,
apostrophes, quotes, or other underscores (or you can use a different
delimiter) in your category descriptions, or they may cause errors.

Perhaps redo your logic on the called page something like this:

<CFIF Len(Variables.PassedCategoryID IS NOT 0>
 <CFINSERT DATASOURCE="SCENARIO" TABLENAME="ScenarioDetail" >
</CFIF>

Setting a PassedCategoryID variable like this isn't absolutely necessary
but it's cleaner.  You could skip it and use <CFIF
Len(ListFirst(#FORM.CategoryID#, '_')) IS NOT 0> for example.  There are
lots of ways to skin this cat.

Regards,

Karl Simanonok