I'm kind of doing this with a project... in a process, I have a query that
is VERY varied, depending on various factors, so there's lots of ifs,
switch/cases, etc. that determine the query in the end.

What I do is (like some others have mentioned) build up a string variable
with the query code...

<cfset querycode = "select * from table">
<cfif blah>
<cfset querycode = querycode & "where blah = blah">
<cfelseif blah2>
<cfset querycode = querycode & "where blah2 = blah2">
</cfif>

etc. etc. You get the idea. I then can both execute that query straight up:

<cfquery datasource="whatever">
#querycode#
</cfquery>

and I also store it in my DB for later retrieval and execution (like above).

Someone else mentioned the single quote issue - I bumped into that. What I
did was do a Replace on my query variable with something unusual, three
ampersands;

<cfset querycode = Replace(querycode, "'", "&&&", "ALL")>

and stored it in the DB. When I pull it back out of my DB, I reverse the
Replace() call.

Works like a champ.