From: Jennifer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2000 9:13 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why does blank dates default to 1899-12-30?

HOLD! Don't panic. This can be done. Don't give up yet.

At 10:18 AM 7/7/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Michael,
>
>Thanks for the suggestion. This is very bad news. My app displays the
status
>of a list of insurance policies for a particular piece of property: Date
>Issued, Date Canceled, Date Expired. Most of the time the last two are
>blank. And there may be from 1 to 9 policies listed for a property: General
>Liability, Auto, Umbrella, etc. I don't believe that I can insert CFIF tags
>within CFTable or CFGrid. The only workaround for me (other than to use
ASP)
>is to convert all date fields to text fields. This is possible now because
>prepare a special data file for web access. If I were allowing the clients
>to hit the live database, which is in future plans, I may not be able to
use
>CF.
>
>I'm don't believe I can use <TABLE> because there is no functions available
>to format date and dollar amounts.

ColdFusion has functions to format dates and dollar amounts. They can be
used outside other CF functions or within them. There is a DateFormat
function and a DollarFormat function. You can use those just about
anywhere. I've never used CFTable, personally. I just looked up some info
on it and it seems as though most of the functionality can be done with
main differences between <table> and <cftable> are that you don't have to
put HMTL in <cftable> and that <cftable> doesn't actually output HTML, so
if the user doesn't have  proper browser that doesn't matter.