This is awesome! Exactly what I was hoping for: a discussion on why you
would or wouldn't do it.

This is what I'm planning.

1. INCLUDES: I have headers, footers, and local navigation that's served
via includes.

I figured for the includes that it was inefficient to process CF code,
then send it to have SSI added. Or whatever the order would be. I'm not
even sure you could do that.

But I don't want to have different include calls for my CF pages than I do
for my other pages. For example, I don't want static *.html pages being
processed for SSI and *.cfm pages being processed for CFINCLUDE. I'd like
it all the same. It seems like maintenance for me and future people would
be easier if it was all the same.

2. USER SESSIONS: Users need to be able to log in and have their username
carried across the website.

I'm thinking that the session cookie CF sets on log in can be accessed
from a static HTML page. Is this right? It's just like any other cookie?

Not all of the pages are dynamic. Many are, but there's a decent chunk of
static content. It's maybe 50-50. I'll be interfacing with separate
applications for a course catalog, class schedules, faculty and staff
directories, degree planners, class calendars/syllabi, user
registration/info.

As for *.html vs. *.cfm for page names on dynamic websites, I think it'd
be easier for users to guess file names with *.html than with *.cfm.
Either way, I think having the entire website have the same extension
offers a minor usability feature. This is a small detail, but my naming
conventions are pretty standardized just in case users want to type random
URLs to find something.

I'm not totally set towards having every page in the website have the same
extension. I just thought the consistency would be easier all around.

Does this seem to make more sense, or does it still seem unnecessary? Like
I mentioned, I can code CF, but properly designing an application is
something I'm totally new to.

Thanks,
--
Austin Govella