We have a repeating patter where we'll need business rules applied in the
presentation layer (mostly via JavaScript for a smart client and some post
form validation on an action page, maybe a call to EBJ), as well as these
same rules applied to flat files that are coming in.  Both need the same
rules applied.

Anyone have experience at Rules Engines (writing, saving in a common non
language specific format, and applying to CF or JS and also flat files
and/or Java/EBJ)?  Flat files may be read and parsed by Java (or ??), and
apply the rules to right out human readable specific error messages.

Some rules engines seem more A.I. like, not really what I'm looking for.

Also, anyone know of Tools to buy that will parse and validate large flat
files and apply rules.. (maybe integrate the rules and publish to CF?).

Current Arch Flow Thoughts:
===========================
HTML/JS     ->   CFM    ->       CFC   ->     EJB       ->   Oracle
(JS rules)     (cf rules)     (cf rules)    (java rules)   (db rules)

Want to capture all rules and store in one place, and validate where needed,
but
also use there same rules for flat files  (not shown above, see below)

Thoughts?:
==========
Flat File  ->  (converter/map)  ->  Flat File   ->    (pgm)     ->    Oracle
                (some rules)        (XML???)       (XML Schema)     (db
rules)

Currently Have:
(XML)            ->   CFC       ->        CF                    ->
HTML/JS         HTML/JS
(has some rules)    (load xml)    (make js/html rules from XML)    (js/html
rules)

Need to refine the XML w/ rules and apply w/ Java/EJB  and  a flat file
converter/validator.

Anyone do anything like this?