Awesome. Thanks Sean, and Ray for the extra info... Very helpful. From your
example, this looks to me essentially like creating a CFC which functions
similarly to some cfassociated custom tags with the added bonus of being
able to take advantage of class inheritance, so this looks very cool.

It's probably partly my fault for not making the time to read a lot of the
documentation for the new features in MX, although, this conversation did
all start because I didn't see a typo in my code. ;)

> On Wednesday, Feb 26, 2003, at 11:32 US/Pacific, S. Isaac
> Dealey wrote:
>> So beyond the syntax in the cffunction tag, how and why
>> would you
>> reference
>> that information?

> How: getMetadata().
> Why: for whatever reason you want.

> You can provide all sorts of additional metadata to
> cfcomponent,
> cffunction, cfargument, cfproperty. For example:

>               <cfargument name="foo" type="array" basetype="numeric">

> Then you might have code that can inspect the metadata and
> see the
> BASETYPE metadata. Perhaps you are writing a better
> CFCExplorer.
> Perhaps you are writing a metaprogramming system. Who
> knows.

> I haven't found it as useful on cfargument as on
> cfcomponent and
> cfproperty. For example, you write a base component that
> does simple
> web form management. It uses cfproperty metadata (in
> derived
> components) to determine what fields, labels and data
> types to display.
> Something like this:

> myform.cfc:
>       <cfcomponent extends="formmanager">
>               <cfproperty name="username" label="Username"
>                       type="string" maxlength="30" required="true">
>               <cfproperty name="password" label="Password"
>                       type="password" maxlength="10" required="true">
>               <cfproperty name="zipcode" label="ZIP or Postal Code"
>                       type="string" maxlength="8" required="false">
>       </cfcomponent>

> The base CFC might have renderHTML() and validateForm()
> methods that
> use the property metadata to generate / validate the form.

>> I also noticed that the hint attribute of the cffunction
>> tag isn't
>> mentioned
>> in the list of attributes or in the example in the
>> livedocs, but it
>> does
>> appear in the "usage" section. Is this an example of
>> extra metadata?
>> Iirc
>> the hint appears in a cfdump of the function right?

> 'hint' and 'description' are both used by CFCExplorer I
> think.

> Sean A Corfield -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

> "If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really
> alive."
> -- Margaret Atwood

> cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
> FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq
> Your ad could be here. Monies from ads go to support these
> lists and provide more resources for the community.
> http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm

>                               ubscribe.cfm?user=633.558.4

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

tapestry api is opensource     http://www.turnkey.to/tapi

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816