[Sorry if this is a repeat.  I tried to send this a day or two ago but
never saw it come through...]

Hey folks,

I'm the webmaster for www.firstnight.org, Boston's New Year's
celebration website.  The site get's minimal traffic for most of the
year but gets significant traffic for ONLY 30-31st (more than 200,000
page views or about 5.2 million hits).

We are currently hosting with Communitech.net who are good but have no
plans to upgrade from CF 4.5 or SQL Server 7.0.  Also they have recently
severely cut back on their traffic logging/reporting capabilities.  They
have handled the traffic very well however.

Anyhoo we're looking to move:

1) We absolutely need decent traffic analysis/reporting.  We using this
data as the basis for fund raising and corporate sponsorship outreach.

2) I'd prefer SQL Server 2000 (7.0 is fine, but I'd like to personally
try and get onto a universal for me platform).

3) I'd been considering CFMX, but am wary about that.  My personal site
(www.depressedpress.com) is hosted on MX and is often down.  I'm not
sure if that's an MX issue or a hoster issue (although I do like my
hoster, crystaltech.net)

4) As a non-profit that nearly went bankrupt putting on a huge
millennium celebration we're hoping to find a hoster willing to exchange
sponsorship consideration for services.  The event itself attracts
several million people to Boston (it's one of the cities "big three"
along with "Pops goes the Fourth" and the Boston Marathon) and a
consideration package could be built to match the service costs.

Right now we're paying $1,100 a year and, bluntly, would like to
reduce/eliminate that if possible.

So two questions:

1) Any ideas for hosts both willing to handle the traffic and meeting
our technical needs?  Perhaps even willing to work on a sponsorship
basis?

2) Whadda ya think?  CFMX or CF 5.0?  I'm leaning for selfish reasons
towards MX (allowing me to consolidate all my personal development) but
fear it for this high-availability site (obviously a serious problem on
the 31st is pretty much catastrophic).

I'm considering approaching CrystalTech first (again the selfish
consolidation angle).  Any thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance,

Jim Davis
President, Depressed Press of Boston: http://www.DepressedPress.com/
Webmaster, First Night Boston:  http://www.firstnight.org/ Senior