James, Dina is correct - 'LEFT JOIN' is the same as 'LEFT OUTER JOIN' for most
RDBMS's. Some will actually require LEFT OUTER JOIN, but I think that's rare these
days. The LEFT/LEFT OUTER is more loose - it's like telling the DB:

"give me all the records in the left table, and then if there are any matches in the
right table, return a record for those too."

To return records that ONLY have a match with the table you're relating, use INNER
JOIN, as Dina suggested. This type of join says:
"give me only the records from the left table that have a match in the right table"

Because you are specifying a contstraint in the where clause, the recordset for each
of these would have looked the same in your situation, but it's better form, and
probably better performance to use the correct join type in your statement :)

Sorry for any confusion.

Adam.