While a Java or COM comms library isn't hard to find, and getting a
modem to dial from CF wouldn't be hard, your problem is really getting
back any response because the web and CF are essentially stateless.
There is no easy way of telling CF to, "wait until the other modem
picks up" (maybe MX/javacomm...). Not to say that there aren't
some creative solutions possible, but CF really isn't the right
environment to do this from.

Some links I googled.
http://www.data-tech.com/Products/FaxMan/fax.asp
http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/index.html