> Don't let a disabled person hear you call them
> Handicapped, that is the
> Politically incorrect term (by the way).

> I took a seminar a while back on Section 508 and they
> explained that the
> word Handicap was given to disabled people because most
> disabled people at
> the time were Vietnam vets. The word handy capped means
> to had out a
> baseball call in and ask for a hand out. Notice that those
> signs now say
> Disabled and not handicapped.

> Just letting ya know... they get really pissed if you call
> them handicapped
> ;)

That may be true. But if so the original definition has been all but lost to
antiquity. That is to say -- a few select individuals know what it meant
originally. Most only know it as being synonymous with "disabled". As a
matter of fact, there is no mention of hand-outs if you search
Dictionary.com for the definition of the word "handicapped". But then I'm
much more inclined to believe or agree with George Carlin's interpretation
of why they get upset when you call them handicapped -- that they've been
conned by the "sun is always shining" crew into believing that they can do
anything they want to do in life regardless of circumstance if they want it
enough, and that the condition will change if the name of the condition is
changed. "We're not handicapped, we're handi-capable!" ... Anyway, that's
enough from me for now. :)

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

tapestry api is opensource     http://www.turnkey.to/tapi

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816