content within cffunction is displayed like normal content by default.
setting the output attribute to true will make it execute as if the
CFFUNCTION tag internally included a CFOUTPUT.  Setting output to false will
make everything be hidden, like using CFSILENT.

The reason (i think) you get one space is that CF compresses all runs of CF
tags and interim whitespace into a single space on the HTML stream.  So,
CFFUNCTION is behaving in perfect consistency with the rest of CF, although
I think it should be treated as a special case, and not output anything
unless the output option is explicitly set to true.  'course, it's too late
for that, since it'll undoubtedly break existing code.  Another case of
CFMX's new functionality not being throught all the way through (or at least
not through to the same conclusions).

banreyb