Greg,

We use CDG Commerce's service, and have for a number of years with great
success.  We also developed a custom tag to process realtime payments
through their gateway.  It doesn't have recurring billing, but that could
easily be setup with your application ..

CDG's setup is free, go to http://www.quilldesign.com/cdg/index.cfm and you
can download the application (free).  It will send off your information to
CDG and they will send you an application, but you are by no means obligated
to signup for their service.

The custom tag has a test account setup so you can test out the system.

Hope this helps!

Paul Giesenhagen
QuillDesign