dan martin wrote:

> I am currently using ms access with a growing 20mb database that I need to upgrade.
> My initial plan was to migrate over to SQL 2000 because that seems to be the most
> painless (except for price). I am wondering if it would make more sense to migrate
> to an open source db: mySQL or postgresql. I am running win2k with cf5 and would
> like to keep the db on the same server.
>
> Does anyone have experience or comparison information between the 3 choices running
> on win2k? How much work is it to port access to mysql or postgresql?

Access to PostgreSQL is very little work. Make sure you read the chapter
on datatypes and you are set to go. After you have converted your data
you need to look over your queries. PostgreSQL supports more
join/subquery constructs as Access, so that is no problem. But you might
need to rewrite some of your queries because functions like Year() and
DatePart() are not present in PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL uses the standard
Extract() for that (writing your own Year() and DatePart() functions is
trivial).
With MySQL data conversion is similar, but rewriting your queries is a
little bit the other way around. Subqueries are not supported so you
would need to rewrite them, but there are more functions that behave the
same betweeen Access and MySQL.

But don't forget that query syntax between Access and MS SQL Server
requires some changes too.

> Are there obvious benefits performance or feature wise between the choices?

Featurewise MS SQL Server has advantages over PostgreSQL, which in turn
has many advantages over MySQL.
I don't think performance matters much for such a small database, except
in some rare scenario's. For example, if you disable connection pooling,
PostgreSQL will take a much heavier performance hit (it uses one process
for each connection). Or if you have some extremely long running
requests MS SQL Server will only have limited CALs left to serve other
requests.

The biggest disadvantage of PostgreSQL, and the one reason I not
outright recommending it, is that all the native versions for Windows
are still in Beta. You can run a Cygwin version, but it has implications
for performance and there might be compatibilities issues if you run
other Cygwin applications. I am happily running the beta for a few
months now, but that is development only.

BTW, one database you didn't mention was Firebird. I hear it is almost
as capable as PostgreSQL and it does have a native Windows version.
Unfortunately, I have spent too little time working with it to say more.

Jochem