I personally can't stand the Wrox books. It's a bit of an investment,
but I recommend the following titles:

MSPress Titles:

Visual C#.Net (Core Reference) - Mickey Williams (if you are going the
C# route)

Programming VB.NET - Franseco Balena (if you are going the VB route)
Microsoft ADO.NET (Core Reference) - David Sceppa
Developing ASP.NET Server Controls and Components - Nikhil Kothari,
Vandana Datye

Applied Microsoft .NET Framework Programming - Jeffrey Richter (a must
for every .NET developer)

Microsoft .NET Remoting - Scott Mclean, et al. (I'd save this one for
after you get your feet wet)

Non MSPress Titles:
.NET Web Services: Architecture and Implementation - Keith Ballinger
(Addison Wesley)

Essential .NET - Don Box (Addison Wesley) (This guy is a hero in the
.NET community)

ASP.Net In A Nutshell - G. Andrew Duthie & Matthew MacDonald (O'Reilly)

Sites to check out:
www.gotdotnet.com <http://www.gotdotnet.com/>

www.asp.net <http://www.asp.net/>

www.developmentor.com <http://www.developmentor.com/>