Peter:

I built a system quite a few years back that let you reorder records.  The
front end was a select list showing all of the records and 2 buttons, up and
down.  When you were finished reordering the records, you'd push the submit
button which would build a list of the elementIDs in the new order.  The
backend simply looped over the list and entered the new order number into
the DB.

Email me offlist if you want the code (front and back).

--
Mosh Teitelbaum
evoch, LLC