Thanks for your reply, Sean.  I'll disperse my answers between your comments...

>Ermm.. Having read the rest of the string...
>
>Are you already authenticated as an NT user? IE If you're established as an
>NT user with permissions over the wwwroot and IIS is allowing NTFS auth then
>this will avoid tricks like denying iusr read.

I'm running MIE as ICGDEV, an authenticated user with no privileges to any template
files on the server.

>Under IIS, the first trick to keep in mind is what users have access to
>browse the directory at all. Who can pull up a directory listing, who can
>actually read the files. Removing the IUSR should stop browsers from
>accessing those pages. If it hasn't, try restarting the CF services.
>Occasionally I have found those details caching and not re checking auth.

ICGDEV has no privileges to browse the directory and no privileges to read the files.

I restarted the entire computer and it still behaves the same way.  Access is given to
ICGDEV to run the ColdFusion pages, even though it has no NTFS permissions.

>The next trick to keep in mind is which process is actually calling the
>script, and which user is that process authenticated under.
>
>IE Are you just browsing anonymously? Have you previously authenticated as
>an Admin, is the script being called direct from your browser, or is it
>being called as an include/component/etc from within your scripts.

It's being called directly, its just hello.cfm with just the word 'hello' in it.

>Actual calls to the script from your browser will execute as you. The IUSR
>if you haven't provided authentication and NT Auth is disabled, Your NT user
>if NT Auth is enabled and you've authenticated in the NT domain, or the
>authentication details you've provided through challenge/response.

That's what I'm saying isn't working.  I'm using integrated windows authentication,
connecting as ICGDEV, and I'm still able to access the coldfusion pages from the
browser.  According to the technote, I shouldn't be able to, since ICGDEV doesn't have
the neccessary read privileges.

>Internal script calls to other templates or components will execute as the
>system user, or as cold fusion itself when executing. Sandboxing is the best
>way to secure these type of calls imho.

I'm not really considering using this for securing the pages (at this time), I'm just
trying to understand how it works.