Indeed, it seems a nice way to organise your CFMX code.
We do something similar (no files under Jrun4/CFMX installation).

Here is our structure (that we use with CFMX Pro/Ent or CFMX for J2EE) :
d:/applications >> ColdFusion pages accessible through HTTP
d:/applications/www.myappA.com - an application A (only layout CFM pages and
SWF app), document root of an Apache Virtual host
d:/applications/www.myappB.com - an application B (only layout CFM pages and
SWF app), document root of an Apache Virtual host

d:/applications/CF-INF/ >> ColdFusion components, lib...
d:/applications/CF-INF/ - XML config files for all the applications
d:/applications/CF-INF/cfcomponents - CFC root (business/data components)
shared across all the applications on the server
d:/applications/CF-INF/cfpagelets - Pagelets root (view components) shared
across all the applications on the server
d:/applications/CF-INF/cflibs - UDF Lib root shared across all the
applications on the server
d:/applications/CF-INF/cftags - CF custom tags shared across all the
applications on the server
d:/applications/CF-INF/lib - Java libraries root
d:/applications/CF-INF/fla - Flash source root

d:/files >> Static files
d:/files/www.myappA.com/i18n - properties files for internationalization of
application A
d:/files/www.myappA.com/cache - cache root
d:/files/www.myappA.com/mappingA - an example of Apache mapping for static
files (for example /images)
(in our case, all the static files are on a dedicated files server running
only Apache, files.myappA.com)

d:/database >> database files root

Then we add the following mappings in jrun.xml :
<virtual-mapping>
    <resource-path>/CF-INF</resource-path>
    <system-path>d:/applications/CF-INF/</system-path>
</virtual-mapping>
<virtual-mapping>
    <resource-path>/com</resource-path>
    <system-path>d:/applications/CF-INF/cfcomponents/com</system-path>
</virtual-mapping>

We use package naming convention for all our CFC and pagelets (no possible
name conflicts between the different applications).
Like this you can call any CFC by cfinvoke "com.mycompany.myCFC",
"com.myappA.anotherCFC", any Lib by cfimport "/CF-INF/lib/mylib.cfm" ...

Benoit Hediard
www.benorama.com

PS : for the application name, we use the following convention :
- www.myappA.local : application running on the local machine (usually
developer's one),
- www.myappA.dev : application running on the development server (code
reference with source control),