CFUPDATE and CFINSERT are the devil's tools.  Well not quite; they are
designed to keep the learning curve of CF low, but (IMHO) should never be
used unless you need that low curve.  If you know how to write the SQL
statements for INSERT and UPDATE, then using CFUPDATE and CFINSERT is
generally a bad idea.  Your uncle's nova (CFUPDATE) generally works, but if
someone gave you a free <fill in car name> (CFQUERY), with which gas and
insurance were cheaper (performance), but you had to go pick it up 10 miles
away (initial coding), would you take it?

Bottom line, the app engine shouldn't know anythign about your database, so
don't let it.

My $0.02,
barneyb