Barney,

I worked on a web application once that worked
(and looked) almost identical to what you have there.

We used DHTML (DynAPI a JS Library) and it gave
height's etc of the <DIV>'s after content had been set..
thus being able to put footers at the bottom.

my point, yes it can be done, if DynAPI had the numbers available to
see then the browser has them.. take a look in
the DynAPI library and see how they did it.

specifically the setHTML() function somewher
(been about 2 years sorry)