Thanks Dave...

That's definitely more of an answer I was expecting.  I appreciate your
help at least.

I was looking for some more specific discussions on the uses of
<cfapplication> and session management type things (I've done about 10 or
so projects so far to make dynamic web pages and have had yet to even look
at using <cfapplication>).  This is the first time that I have needed to do
something like this without just password protecting an entire directory
and wanted not to do that this way because then I wouldn't have to get our
IS department to set up quite a few user names and passwords.  This is also
the first project that I have worked on where there would be more than one
person using the update/add forms to manipulate the data in the database.

Anyone else have any book suggestions? I've got Forta's Cold Fusion Web
Application Construction Kit, but it didn't cover the topics as in-depth as
I had hoped.  Allaire training for me is unfortunately not an option (i.e.
my price limit for learning is about $40 or less) because any training
would come out of my pocket, and I already have some college bills of my
own to pay.

Thanks!