From: Haggerty, Mike [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 27 March 2003 19:34
To: CF-Talk
Subject: OT: SQL Name Sounds Like Matching

I have a feeling I am going to be working on this one for a while...

One of my more demanding clients is asking for a name matching solution on
the cheap. What it needs to do is find where a name 'sounds like' another
name, even if it is in another language (including Middle Eastern and
Oriental names). In addition, I need to be able to eliminate false positives
wherever possible, in order to come up with the most consise list of
matches.

I really don't know where to start. SQL Server and Oracle both offer soundex
support, which I suppose could be used to generate some values for
comparisons. But I am not sure how this would work when different languages
come into play.

Does anyone have / know of any books / resources / advice on how to do this?