>The true test of a key, is to think of a situation where you are asked
>to extract a subset of data (ie. set of master with all related details)
>into a new database with an identical structure.  The test is met if you
>are able to perform the transition and maintain all relationships.  On
>this score IDENTITY fails.

Not to argue just for the sake of arguing, but yesterday I just moved most
of the data in one database to another with a slightly different structure
(including a slightly different degree of normalization).  The tables in the
previous database all contained IDENTITY fields with a couple minor
exceptions.

Although I understand the theory behind the arguments against IDENTITY
fields, I maintain that real world applications do not support the theory in
most situations.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
voice: (508) 240-0051