as someone with a similar problem I suspect that it's because it is easier
to find a volunteer to read the page than a volunteer to translate it.  I
don't know the quality of translation produced by the tag but I suspect it
probably isn't satisfactory; I know I really wasn't impressed with Google
or AltaVista's online translation. But it's an interesting idea. What would
your structure me, some thing like

record number
phrase in English
phrase in Spanish
phrase in French
etc?

You can probably nudge your volunteers to do a translation piecemeal with
this approach. However, a couple of things occur to me as pitfalls -- the
second person being one of them, although hmm you would think that a
mredical site would be mostly third person (although mine has a forum that
I would like to translate also).

Still, certain patterns probably recur such as (condition name) is
characterized by (symptom-list) and (treatment-type) has/has not been found
effective by (researcher) in a (study-type) in (year).

However, we are talking about a significant aboutn of effort to put
something like this together and unless your coder is also a volunteer it
is probably cheaper to get a professional translation and then run updates
past the volunteers. Google and Alta Vista as far as i recall simply ignore
words that are not in their vocabulary so you really cannot depend on them
for anything remotely technical

By the way I have not found adequate French-English medical dictionaries
online -- that's the language I feel competent to jusge a translation in --
and I would suspect the situation is similar in Spanish. If you know
otherwise please let me know. I may speak good French but I have no idea
how to say meatal stenosis. For example.

Howe

On Tue, 27 May 2003 08:34:02 +0700, Paul Hastings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> 6. Have bilingual volunteers look at each page to make sure it works and
>> that the translation is correct.  I was thinking of having a frames
>> layout
>
> why not skip all the hoo ha & let them do the job properly in the first
> place? considering the topic of your db i'd say it was 100% worth the
> effort. babelfish produces nonsense quite often & its language set is
> sort
> of limited compared to the whole world.
>
> if you want to build a tool, then i would suggest building a tool to aid
> human translators. maybe something along the lines of IBM's resource
> bundle
> manager: http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/demo_tools/RBManager.html

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481