I've got a variation on this same error (Macromedia please acknowledge this is a bug
in CFMX!)

In my case I have an append query component that basically takes a query argument and
appends the queries in an instance.

The problem is that the query returned by the method may vary the data it returns. In
this case at one point it returns most records with zero and 1 as data and so when the
UNION tries to join them the error occurs.

This is the error I get:
Query Of Queries runtime error.
All resulting columns of queries in a SELECT statement containing a UNION operator
must have corresponding types.
Columns with index number equal "23" have diffent types (VARCHAR, BIGINT).

Jedi Master please tell this simple mortal:
Why is CFMX 'assuming' data types in query of queries?
(I've heard this complain many times, this makes code written in CF5 not compatible
with CFMX)
Why (if the sublime realm of Java requires that you use those ‘assumed’ data types)
don’t you allow Query of queries to receive arguments that tell it what the data types
are?
Talk to me master…

And lastly is there worldly solution to this problem? Trust me master, I’ve tried… but
my faith fails me… if I change the data of those 2 insubordinate records to ‘Yes’ and
‘No’ my worldly code does work.

ColdFusion and related topics.