Hi,
We're having problems with the SQL Server 2K transaction log at
our shared host filling up and thus causing transactions to fail
until the log is manually cleared. Our host is telling us the
problem is that our code is not properly committing transactions
being written to the db, causing the log to fill.

All of our inserts and updates to this database are wrapped in
<cftransaction></cftransaction> tags (due to multiple tables
involved in the transactions). We are not explicitly issuing any
commits or rollbacks.

My questions are:
1) Given our use of <cftransaction>, is it possible that CF is
leaving transactions uncommited? I thought CF handled all of that
behind the scenes.

2a) Even if CF is leaving transctions uncommitted, I thought that
commits write the transactions from the cache to the log. Seems
to me that if the log is getting full, it's not because of
uncommitted transactions, but rather that for whatever reason, a
checkpoint is not getting issued to flush the transactions from
the log to the database. Is that correct?

2b) And if CF was not committing transactions, wouldn't these
transactions not appear in the database? Is the fact that all of
our transactions appear in the 'database' (that virtual
collection of db, logs and cache) indicate that the transactions
are in fact getting committed?

I hope someone with a deeper understanding of how SQL Server
transaction logs work can help explain this for me.

TIA,
Dave Jones
NetEffect

resources for the community.