> It seems that CF5 was able to connect even more than previous 
> versions.  Now I'm starting to get the feeling that CFMX
> can only connect to datasources that Java can connect to.

That is correct. CFMX can only connect to datasources through JDBC. However,
CFMX does provide an ODBC service, which acts as a bridge of sorts from JDBC
to ODBC.

> I was all excited about DSN-less connections in CF5, but now 
> I'm wondering if that only works for sources that a JDBC
> provider exists for.

DSN-less connections aren't directly supported in CFMX; apparently, either
they aren't supported in JDBC at all or they aren't supported by the
DataDirect JDBC drivers provided by Macromedia. I think it's the former,
actually, but I'm not sure. However, someone on this list posted a
workaround using an Access DSN to talk to other databases by building a
dynamic DSN string. I think it was Sam Neff. I don't think I'd recommend
this for production applications, though.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
Archives: http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?forumid=4
Subscription: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/index.cfm?method=subscribe&forumid=4
FAQ: http://www.thenetprofits.co.uk/coldfusion/faq

Get the mailserver that powers this list at 
http://www.coolfusion.com

                                Unsubscribe: 
http://www.houseoffusion.com/cf_lists/unsubscribe.cfm?user=89.70.4
                                

Reply via email to