> > I spent a few minutes looking at SQL Server Books Online,
> > and couldn't find anything which SQL Server would automatically
> > return how many records were updated by a query. You can use the
> > RETURN keyword within a stored procedure to return a value, or
> > you could use RAISERROR to throw an error, but I didn't find what
> > you're looking for, and I don't think it exists, at least not in
> > SQL Server.
>
> what about @@ROWCOUNT? it returns the number of rows
> affected by the last sql statement.....

That's what I used in the sample trigger I included earlier in this thread,
but as far as I know, your query itself has to actually reference @@ROWCOUNT
and specifically return it; it won't just "be there" in your application if
you don't.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496