You could do it on the SQL side with a custom field.  At least you would be
offloading the heavy lifting to SQL.  Not sure if it makes sense to tackle it
this way, but just I tested this and it works...

<cfquery name="testQuery" datasource="testdb">
SELECT  dbo.test.organization,
dbo.test.address,
dbo.test.phone,
dbo.test.contactPerson,
CASE WHEN (
dbo.test.email
) IS NULL
THEN    dbo.test.organization
ELSE  '<a href="mailto:' + dbo.test.email + '">' + dbo.test.organization
+ '</a>'
END as contactString
FROM        dbo.test
</cfquery>

<cfoutput query="testQuery">
#testQuery.contactString# - #testQuery.Organization# - #testQuery.Address# -
#testQuery.Phone# - #testQuery.contactPerson#<br><br>
</cfoutput>
Jeff Langevin                                                          Appalachian
Mountain Club
MIS Department                               5 Joy Street, Boston, Massachusetts
02108

When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way,
you will command the attention of the world.

--George Washington Carver