I'm not sure if this was in response to me... but egocentrically I'll
assume it is.  ;^)

Creating a specification is not "giving away" the language.  Just as Sun
has (against tremendous prodding) refused to give Java away, neither
does MM have to give away CF.  "Published Specification" doesn't have to
be "Open Source".

A specification is helpful to all involved.  At he very least a
specification allows developers to be absolutely clear on the intended
behavior of any part of the language.

A published specification would also go a long way to silence those that
claim CF is a "proprietary" solution that "can't be counted on".  A
specification is Macromedia's promise to developers that the language
will work in a certain way.  It's a formalization of a language that
many people see as informal.

I'm not saying "give CF away" or submit it to standards bodies or
anything like that.  I'm saying that Macromedia itself should publish
the standard and begin to separate CF the app server from CFML the
language.  You COULD submit CFML to something like ECMA, I'd applaud the
decision, but specifications are a separate matter.

Yes, it would allow companies like New Atlanta to create better versions
of their software (which would help to lessen possible market
fragmentation - meaning that somebody could more easily switch from Blue
Dragon to CF if need be).

It seems to me that Macromedia could consider Blue Dragon as an
opportunity.  There seems to be business to be had.  For example, Blue
Dragon is missing many features of CF (Verity, Charting, etc): if the
market for it becomes large enough Macromedia could choose to sell a
mid-ranged product that added these supporting services to Blue Dragon.
It's also a near certainty that most Blue Dragon developers will be
using Macromedia tools to develop in.

Jim Davis
President, http://www.depressedpress.com
Webmaster, http://www.firstnight.org