Upon reading ASP speaker's statement, my first reaction is 'well, that's
academically true, but usually not true in practice'.

I program in both all the time, so here's my take on it:

ASP is *supposed to be* object based.  The MS recommendations for
architecture are that you separate business rules/logic from presentation
rules/logic.  You accomplish this by moving the logic of your site into COM
objects and database-side code wherever possible.  ASP is then simply the
glue between plain html and calls to the objects that really handle all the
dynamic aspects of your site.  It's a wonderful sales pitch.  All your
dynamic logic is executed quicker than ASP can, in compiled code or by the
database, and you can code your html with knowledge of, but separately from
your concerns of how the dynamic code works.

That's the sales pitch.  In practice, you usually execute your dynamic code
in ASP itself, since extracting it to COM objects makes it more difficult to
revise, means you have to manage source code and compiled objects across
multiple servers (supposing you're using a server farm), and it's just plain
quicker to code/test/code/test.

This puts ASP and Cold Fusion on about the same level.  ASP has the
theoretical upper hand, since it can work much more easily with COM objects
than CF... but in practice, you usually don't run into CF's COM limitations
in any way that makes ASP shine.

Being tag-based, I feel Cold Fusion is shy of  the "agility" ASP has in
tying HTML to code objects, and extracting business logic from the
presentation logic.  However, CF has never failed to provide means to
accomplish functionality I've had to write, and is a competitive alternative
to ASP in practical use.  The theoretical debate can rage on.  I have code
to write :)

Jonathan