> OK, I found an answer to this problem. It is yet just one more
> unnecessary behavioral change in MX from presvious versions.
>
> In my shopping cart application, when I want to delete the client
> cookies, I do it manually before the cfapplication tag:
>
> <cfcookie name="cfid" value="" expires="now">
> <cfcookie name="cftoken" value="" expires="now">
>
> This has worked great since ColdFusion 4.0 thru ColdFusion 5.0. The
> cfapplication tag sees the empty values and creates a new unique
> client.cfid and client.cftoken and sets the cookies accordingly (if
> setclientcookies="yes"). Not so with MX. MX takes the value of the
> cookies you created and deleted and sets  client.cfid and
> client.cftoken to that value, then creates the new client cookies
> with, you guessed it, empty values. Now everyone that this happens to
> is sharing the same client variables.
>
> Hopefully having the answer to this will save someone some grief in the
future.

Interesting that your observations yielded that conclusion. I had a similar
problem where a bit of code was deleting the CFTOKEN cookie. In CF 4.5, no
big deal, a new CFID/CFTOKEN is generated because it can't find the
CFID:CFTOKEN pair in the database (i.e., 123:[blank]). In MX, I get a Null
Pointer error and my cfapplication tag is shown in the debug output as being
the line where the error is occurring. It turns out that the underlying
mechanism that does the select against the CDATA and CGLOBAL tables chokes
because the CFTOKEN value is now null.

Once I tracked it down, I sort of understood the reasoning, but the error
message is awfully misleading and essentially useless, and, like you, it's
another undocumented changed between pre-MX and MX.

I feel your pain Bud.

Regards,
Dave.

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481