From: Adam Wayne Lehman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2003 12:33 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Is Flash really THAT good?

Uh oh, here we go again. I've taken the 'flash is unnecessary' side
before. So I'll try my hand at the argument that flash is the future.

Usability, usability, usability. I'd imagine that probably only 5% (if
we're lucky) of web developers have studied usability at all. As for
designers, I'd like to say that the percentage is more, but all the
designers I know are 'artists' and have no clue about application design
or usability. They know what is visually appealing, not functional.

If developers put as much time into usability, case studies, and
actually perform usability tests (which I'm sure most companies will
view as a worthless expense) as we do coding, I think the perception of
the flash RIA would dramatically improve.

Bottom line is, if a flash application is done correctly, with enough
focus on usability, then it will smoke any comparable HTML application.

As for google and yahoo's success. I can think of a million ways google
would be better as an RIA.

As for weight, this comes back to the application's design. Which can
very from app to app, so it's unfair the generalize RIA as being heavy
just because a few are. Not to mention you can conserve a lot more
bandwidth and download time with a flash app. Maybe there is an initial
download of 50k, but every time you want to refresh the screen, or pull
in some db data, you don't have to make another page call. You can get
only the minimum data necessary, rather than load the same html and
images over... and over... and over... and over again.

As for non-standard navigation, what make flash navigation non-standard
in compared to HTML. What is standard navigation anyhow? Standard
navigation doesn't exist. It's just a concept.

Adam Wayne Lehman
Web Systems Developer
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Distance Education Division