I've done this, and it worked well. Before I set my DSN, I did a
cfquery, "Select "foo" as bar from myTable"

Another way to do it is to write a custom tag wrapper for <cfquery>,
and call it as you would cfquery: <cf_failoverQuery name="myQuery"
datasource="dsn1,dsn2">. The internals of the custom tag do a try, and
if the query fails, they use dsn2. I've done things like this, too,
and they also worked well, with little extra overhead.

Jamie

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:23:07 -0700, "admin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>wow - thank you all so much for the useful info. I do like the idea of the
>external app. I wonder if an app like that could be used for load
>balancing - but of course my VB and C++ skills suck.
>Cheers
>
>Richard

Host with the leader in ColdFusion hosting.
Voted #1 ColdFusion host by CF Developers.
Offering shared and dedicated hosting options.
www.cfxhosting.com/default.cfm?redirect=10481