This is called running in the "Distributed Mode".  Here is an MM article for this on
CFMX.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/administration/cfmx_in_distributed_mode/

Hth.

Kind Regards - Mike Brunt
Hi everybody,
Fairly new to CFMX, so sorry if this question is obvious, but I've been
slowly but surely pushing for the use of CFMX where I work, an insurance
company.  I've been giving my boss more examples about web apps that would
be improved and easier to maintain then what we currently have and so far he
has been impressed, but today he asked me a question that I didn't have an
answer for right away.
He wanted to know if it was possible to access CFMX program logic across a
firewall.  The application architecture we use has our web servers in the
DMZ, and for our web servers to access our app servers (Magic App Servers),
we opened up some ports on the firewall.  This way, no logic resides on the
web servers, and if they were compromised, no major damage could be done.
I'm assuming this could be done somehow with CFMX.  Would somebody be kind
enough to direct me to some information on this type of environment? Do they
cover this type of stuff in the advanced WACK book?
Thanks in advance,
Freddys

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm