hmm, I think you will be shocked by what db system schema people will
generate etc... ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Churvis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 09 July 2003 17:23
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Re: cftransaction quick question

> what if you want to perform an action, open a transaction , view the
results
> and the commit/rollback depending on status?

1) You must never, never, _never_ prompt for user response inside a
transaction!  The Database 101 Fairy will smack you upside your head with
his widdoo wand!  Think about what's happening on the backend while your
user makes up his mind (or goes to lunch).  This isn't an ISAM system, and
he isn't the only user.  Besides, you can't do this from a ColdFusion
interface; this is typically a mistake made by people running stateful
connections to a database, such as with Query Analyzer or a program written
in Java or C++ that maintains a constant connection throughout the user
session.

2) All decisions to commit or rollback must be made inside the transaction,
and be derived from data available to the transaction.

3) What you're trying to accomplish should be implemented through a
multi-step process, where all interim steps keep some status attribute in
the pending rows to some "incomplete" value, then a later step either
updates that status value to "complete" or deletes them (or demotes their
status values).

Respectfully,

Adam Phillip Churvis
Member of Team Macromedia

Advanced Intensive ColdFusion MX Training
ColdFusion MX Master Class:
July 14 - 18, 2003
http://www.ColdFusionTraining.com

Download CommerceBlocks V2.1 and LoRCAT from
http://www.ProductivityEnhancement.com

The ColdFusion MX Bible is in bookstores now!

resources for the community.
http://www.fusionauthority.com/ads.cfm