>>I speak not for this guy...except to say he sounds pretty
>>typical of the average VB dork's I run into.

MR> I'll bet. I wasn't lumping you in with His Majesty's royal attitude. :D

MR> Did you look at Michael Dinowitz' cf_maketree?  He mentioned it earlier on in this
thread.  I use it and its pretty cool.  Its quite fast, and not that much slower than
cfx_fMakeTree (which is
MR> blazing fast).

I seriously doubt any method written in CF could come close to this
method as far as speed. In fact I'd put money on the fact that the
serial/hash method is many orders of magnitude faster than even the
nested set method when reading.

MR> Michael's method requires zero recursion, and none of the loony gymnastics you're
going to have to get used to when all you want to do is reorder, move, delete, add
records etc.

Those looney gymnastics took my one day to write...a long time ago,
and they still work. I consider rewriting an entire queryset kinda
looney myself. Even a modified (to allow unlimited levels) adjacent
list model would be faster and cleaner imo, to say nothing of the
Celko method or any of it's variants which are the cream of the crop
right now.

MR> The cfx_fMakeTree tool runs faster given its nature.  It has the advantage over
the old cfx_maketree written originally by Allaire in that it allows you to retain
your query sort, as does
MR> Michael's straightforward tag.

Unfortunately both tags are platform specific as well.

--
 jon
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.coolfusion.com