Well, aside from just checking the port, I'm sure it would be ideal to
see if searches are actually working.  I see a couple of different ways
to do this (and this is assuming ColdFusion MX):

The ideal way to do it would be to simply use CFLDAP, and query an
object periodically that you know will be there.

Otherwise, find some sort of JDBC driver that can handle LDAP.  The
openldap project has a bridge available that will do this, I believe.
At that point, you just have it run a search periodically.

If you can't do that, I'm sure you can use SNMP - somehow.

If you can't do that, then grab one of the LDAP command tools, like
ldapsearch, and call that via a CFEXECUTE periodically, and parse the
output for what you are expecting.

Pretty? Not really... But it is functional.

I'd be surprised if Nagios didn't have some sort of LDAP monitoring
built in.

Michael Jackson
Systems Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]