Thanks for answering my question so thoroughly, I appreciate it.  I have
one thing to clarify, though.  My experience with Macrovision is not so
much the activation process itself - it was pretty fast and, yes, easy
with TurboTax.  It was later problems with Macrovision's software, such
as serious problems with CD-R/CD-RW drives that I experienced, as well
as issues reported with other instances of software or hardware that
were crippled or rendered unusable by the Macrovision software that
concern me the most.

Does the Macrovision app protecting Contribute take steps to monitor the
usage of the CD-R drive, for instance?  If so, while the process of
activation may be painless and quick, it doesn't seem that the core
issues with long-term usage of Macrovision's software have been
addressed, unless Macrovision has made some great strides in their core
application, or removed some of the more invasive hooks in it.

- Jim

Christian Cantrell wrote:

>On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 11:49 AM, Jim Campbell wrote:
>

>>What would you say Intuit did wrong that you are not doing wrong?  I
>>wouldn't place the onus so much on Intuit as much as on Macrovision's
>>draconian software.
>>

>There are two areas of concern here:
>
>1. The technology.  Apparently there were issues with the activation
>technology (I don't have firsthand experience with Intuit's software,
>so keep in mind that I don't know this for sure).  Macromedia has done
>extensive testing to make sure that the activation process is simple,
>as seamless as possible, and safe.
>
>2. Communication.  I think Intuit customers didn't understand the
>activation process, and conversely, Intuit didn't fully understand how
>their customers wanted to use their software.  Macromedia being
>completely upfront and open about the activation process.  The
>documents we have posted on our web site even go so far as to expose
>the exact requests and responses that are involved in the activation
>process (see Security and Privacy Audit at
>http://www.macromedia.com/software/activation/audit/).  Finally,
>Macromedia made changes to the Contribute EULA so that it would be more
>in line with how we believe our customers want to use our software so
>that activation is not an inconvenience.  In other words, what used to
>be considered piracy (installing Contribute on two different machines)
>is now permitted by the EULA for the convenience of our customers.
>
>Christian

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com