From: "Brian Kotek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2003 12:48 PM
Subject: Cons to Fusebox

> First, I just want to be sure you understand what the fuseaction actually
is.  It's in the format "circuit.targetfuseaction", where the "circuit" part
is the alias of a Fusebox circuit, and the "targetfuseaction" part is the
actual action within that circuit that you want to execute. I just wanted to
make sure that was clear.  So...

> Abstraction is one huge benefit of circuits.  When I do
"index.cfm?fuseaction=store.productdetails", I don't know, or care, WHERE
the store circuit is.  This applies to both the logical and physical
structure of the site.  Using circuit aliases masks these dependencies
because the core file handles translation of the alias to a directory path
to be called.  So as a team developer creating a link to that section of the
site, I don't need to know anything about the application's directory
structure or where that part of the site is located.

> On the other hand, using "/root/store/products/productdetails.cfm" in a
link requires you to know EVERYTHING about the physical structure of the
site for EVERY link.  And if for some reason I refactor the site, and part
of the change is to alter the physical location of my products directory, or
break it up into more than one directory?  Better open up a lot of files or
break out the extended search and replace, because every link that points
there is going to have to be changed.

> Circuits also allow for very easy dynamic links.  If I have a component
that creates a form, and I want to reuse that form in multiple places in the
system but I want it to post to different things, this is really easy with
circuits.  You do: form action="index.cfm?fuseaction=#xfa.formAction#".
Then at runtime, you can set xfa.formAction to be anything you need it to
be.  Bam...like magic the form can now post to any fuseaction you need it
to...and you never need to touch the code itself, only set the xfa variable.

> Pretty much, your question goes right to the heart of why Fusebox uses
circuits in the first place.  The answer is that when related code is
grouped together, that code is easier to maintain and change.  Placing code
into directories can do this as well, in fact Fusebox circuits are aliases
for directories.  But with circuits, you get that layer of abstraction
between the alias of the circuit and it's actual path. I can tell you from
real world experience that when you have to make significant changes to the
structure of your application, it is REALLY nice to be able to edit a few
lines in your circuit definitions and be done with it, instead of having to
change links all over the place.

> Hope that helps,
>
> Brian
>
> Mosh Teitelbaum wrote:
> >I've been pondering the benefits and downsides of this approach for a
while
> >now.  Since you bring it up, I was wondering what everyone else thought
> >about all requests having to come in through an application spine?  That
is,
> >what benefits exist and/or are perceived to exist from structuring all of
> >your HREFs like "index.cfm?fuseaction=foo.bar" or
"index.cfm?displayPage=5"
> >instead of "/foo/bar.cfm" and "page5.cfm" respectively?
> >
> >Anyone?
> >
> >--
> >Mosh Teitelbaum
> >evoch, LLC