From: DURETTE, STEVEN J (AIT) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, 18 July 2003 10:59 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Fire and forget a Stored Procedure

Hi all,

Just wondering if this is possible (and if so, how to do it)...

We have a stored procedure that is run when a user asks for it.  It doesn't
have a set time, just when the user requests.  Normally I just open query
analyzer (MSSQL 2000 btw) and execute the procedure.

I want to be able to add a link to our site so that the user can click and
it will kick off, the problem is that the procedure takes 1 to 2 hours to
run.  That's a long time to have a browser open and I don't want to do any
changes to our timeouts or use request timeout (long story don't ask).

Is there anyway to do a "Fire and forget"?  I.E. user click the link,
procedure starts, user gets a page stating job is started and the procedure
runs no matter what the user does (close browser, take hammer to
workstation, etc :)

Thanks
*****COST SAVINGS SUGGESTION*****
For pages that must be printed, change your print settings to print in
"grayscale" instead of color.

Steve Durette
Mgr-Eng. & Const. Systems Support
100 S. Main
Room 314
Mt. Clemens, MI 48043
Ofc: 586.466.7654
Fax: 586.466.1109
 <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ColdFusion and related topics.