You will likely get answers to your question from the extremely complicated
hacking to perhaps the simpler.

What I have found that works (small to medium size sites) is to install CFMX
with updaters on a test server and then move a copy of existing CF 5.0 sites
over and run the built-in code analyzer that comes with CFMX which will give you
a concise report on any incompatibilities.   I imagine that in most cases you
will find that very little CF 5.0 code will need to be updated to run on CFMX.
I say this because I have witnessed a considerable amount of attention by the MM
folks to insure backwards compatibility.

In my own case, I ran the analyzer against  hosted sites, and found only three
lines of code needing to be modified and now all of the legacy sites are running
under CFMX.  This took considerably less time that all the required hacks and
special accommodations one must make on a server to run separate instances of CF
as well as reducing the CPU load on the server due to all the switching back and
forth the co-existence will require.