Thanks for the response.  A couple of things here.
* SP is not applicable for this application since this is a generic purpose component
(constraint one, may not have permission to create an SP with a client's db).
* As you know, it's dynamic query, my syntax and flow and yours would come to same
resultset, the slight difference,
the syntax of "select var = ..." should be same as "set var = ..." while I forgot to
mention that I had "set nocount on" on top.  To verify it, I tested it using "set var
= ...", got same CF err msg.

It seems quite likely the JDBC driver fails to parse quotes properly.

http://www.coolfusion.com