Some of you may find this a bit familiar.

http://www.turnkey.to/ontap

I realize much of the look and feel of the documentation is the same as the previous
open source project I published some months back ( Tapestry API or TAPI
http://www.turnkey.to/tapi ). No surprise to me, the previous open source project is
also included in this one, however, where the previous project was intended as an API
which could be included in existing sites and applications, this project is a larger
framework for new sites and applications.

Above and beyond providing a consistent interface for managing both ColdFusion and
JavaScript functions and function libraries, onTap also provides a lot of additional
framework features including streamlined database management, structure for error
trapping and handling, convenient methods of branding sites and applications for
clients, and an event-driven process model. To put it in simple terms, the
event-driven process model allows you to have the functionality that a trigger
provides to a database in a ColdFusion application -- encapsulate functionality and
tie processes to other processes in "black box" fashion similar to an object-oriented
approach.  I'd like to say it's a model-view-controler (MVC) approach as well,
although I'm sure some MVC guru will complain about my use of the term. :) It does
however separate style and format from functionality in a self-regulating MVC or at
least MVC-esque fashion allowing you to consistently reuse all of the code in your
application.

In most cases I wouldn't recommend trying to convert existing sites (especially large
ones) to use this framework. I don't think the yield from using this framework could
be considered worthwhile or cost-efficient in most cases to convert larger existing
sites. For new sites and applications, however, this framework offers a number of
things you might be interrested in, and under the Lesser GPL open source license (as
the last project was) it can be used in commercial applications as long as the
framework itself (or a derivative framework) is not packaged and sold.

Although this is an initial alpha many of the concepts in this framework are proven,
working concepts I've drawn from other applications in my portfolio. The alpha is
being and has been tested on CFMX although it only requires CF5. It doesn't include
any CFC's or XML as a part of the core architecture, although I don't see any reason
why it couldn't be incorporated into a CFC driven site and in honesty I think it's
possible using some of its concepts within CFC's and CFC functions could enhance their
use.

I'd like to think that it's self-documenting in many ways. The core files also include
the SPEC xml dialect as part of its documentation. I wrote SPEC for the purpose of
having a generic xml documentation dialect which could be used to document software
projects independant of platform, programming language, framework or methodology. SPEC
honestly deserves its own site as it is intended to be a separate project, though I
haven't had the time to flesh out the details of that as of yet.

I've also published an initial sample application in the onTap framework called Blogs
onTap. It's not very glamorous. If you just want a simple blog it may be a bit
overcomplicated, and the "security" isn't much to look at (hard-coded username /
password in a login template sets a cookie on the browser), but it's intended to give
you some idea of how security might be handled in a larger application without
requiring session, application or client variables in the sample.

I'd very much like to get feedback (critiques, comments, questions, etc.) regarding
the framework from anyone who's got the time to have a look and maybe take a stab at
building some small applications that might be good examples.

Thanks,

s. isaac dealey                972-490-6624

team macromedia volunteer      http://www.macromedia.com/go/team

chief architect, tapestry cms  http://products.turnkey.to

onTap is opensource            http://www.turnkey.to/ontap

resources for the community.