<RESPONSE OFFICIAL="no">

1) CF Standard is not priced per CPU, you can use that as you see fit.

2) Before pricing was changed a lot of time was spent researching the
boxes that were being used. The vast majority (I don't recall the exact
percentage, but it was very high) of CF users have single or dual CPU
boxes, which is why the base price covers 2 CPUs (so as to impact the
fewest people possible). While price increases are scary (I know I
balked when I first heard about it), for the vast majority of users this
discussion is academic at best.

3) For CF users upgrading from CFMX Enterprise they are actually getting
a lot more for no more money (the equivalent of three products rolled
into one, CF, CF/J2EE, and JRun).

4) This is actually a price decrease on CF/J2EE (it is an increase on CF
Enterprise though, agreed).

5) Per CPU pricing is the norm in the J2EE world. You do not have to use
the J2EE product though (see #1 above).

6) Put yourself in MMs shoes here. The most compelling new feature of
CFMX Enterprise is the ability to deploy multiple instances, which means
there is a very real likelihood that multiple CF boxes will be replaced
with a single more powerful CF box (saving the owner big bucks on both
hardware and software costs). In other words, this feature is great for
users but could impact CF licenses. There has to be an upside for MM,
simple as that. Last I checked we were still macromedia.com and not
macromedia.org.

</RESPONSE>